Gratitude for the little things.



What are you grateful for today? Life you'd probably say amongst other things . It would likely be at the top of your list. Relatively good health too might likely come after. Your family too maybe.

How about those little things that usually go unnoticed? What kind of  little things you might ask?

I would give you an example:
You have this sumptuous plate of sizzling hot Jollof rice in front of you.
You've said your meal time prayers, next you pick up your spoon, take a spoonful of rice and boom! It goes inside your mouth, you don't think of it. It's comes naturally. Same thing goes for a glass of water. You place the cup close to your lips and down the water goes. Again it comes naturally.

Another one: You are at the bus stop, you're waiting for a bus going to Iyana paja. A bus comes. You want to ask the conductor if he's headed there. You shout 'Iyana paja?' Again you are able to do it naturally without any stress. It comes quick as lightning to you.

Now where am I heading to with this?
During this past week, doing these things that naturally seem to come to you without you doing any mental calculations have been quite difficult for me.

I happened to bite down hard on my inner cheek twice on the same spot (very very painful by the way) and it became a sore that is almost healed right now.

For days, I drank water from the corner of my mouth, ate my food in bits and pieces like a 1 year old. I could barely out a spoonful of rice in my mouth because I wanted to avoid the spoon or any food particle touching that spot as contact with it would cause this excruciating pain that went straight to my head. I chewed with the other corner of my mouth. More of sucking till the food melts anyways.

Brushing my teeth had a special way I did it to avoid mistakenly touching the spot. I even had snacks I bought over for the weekend still in my bag just because chewing became a chore basically.

It caused me to think of how easily I had taken for granted these unnoticed abilities.
Yes I am alive, I am grateful for that,  a lot. However, it's these little things that shows really that we're really alive.

If you can't chew properly, how will you get adequate nutrition to keep that fire burning ?

How about drinking of water? If it becomes so difficult to drink water, we all know what dehydration can cause.

Even brushing your teeth is vital to prevent plaque which in turn could lead to bad teeth. Which still leads us back to chewing.

So now I am going to ask you that question again: What are you grateful for? This time think of those minute things you can do without thinking that often goes without notice but are vital to your very essence.

Let me know when you've thought of something. Do leave a comment, share this post and please don't forget to subscribe if you haven't done that yet.

Have a lovely weekend ahead. ☺☺

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remy, 'Another One'? Oh no, you shouldn't have.

BBNaija - The Kemen Incident and My Take on it.

#AMVCA2017 - Ama Writes favorites from the red carpet.