Bashful, Snow White and the Six Dwarfs

Hi guys. Guess who's around again? Yeah I know I should really stop saying that. Well today I come with good tidings. I did a spin on the snow white story writing from Bashful's viewpoint. This is for the very young at heart though. I hope you like it. Please make use of the various share buttons below to share if you did. Comments are also very much welcome.




Heigh-ho everyone. My name’s Bashful. ‘Bashfulis a unique name’, you might say. Well, duh? It is unique because I am the only one Bashfulyou know. Yes! Bashful from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs story. You know that dwarf that has a mad crush on Snow White and is completely smitten by her? Yeah that’s me. I don’t really like to call us dwarfs though, we’re more like tiny men. Guess what though guys? That story is actually not completely true. So, I decided to write the story from my own viewpoint. I mean there are usually different sides to a story right? Therefore I present to you *drum roll* Bashful’s Version of the story - the seven dwarfs part mostly though.

On that day we had found Snow White in our house, we had left the cottage in the morning singing our famous Heigh-ho song as usual as we headed out up to the mines in the mountains to dig for diamonds. We had dug quite a lot and found a whole lot of diamonds which we usually gave to Queen Delightful. After a long, tiring day’s job, we headed home. While we were marching home, singing the Heigh-ho song, I was already yawning, wondering how I was going to lay my bed and sleep off when I got home.

Now here’s the beginning of where it gets interesting. We got home and found out someone had already broken into the cottage. Can you imagine? Broke into our house. I mean who would do that to us? We were just Queen Delightful’s miners. We had nothing valuable to steal. We had all been so scared to go in. Even Sleepy was quite awake at that moment. Then Doc decided it was our house and we weren’t going to just stand outside waiting in fear. Grumpy was already getting grumpier than usual. I couldn’t blame him because I was grumpy and groggy and if I was felt that way, then Grumpy was something more than grumpy.

Anyways, back to Doc. Doc could no longer stand Grumpy’s nagging and tip-toed carefully into the house holding his mattock in case the intruder got violent. We all trooped behind him, tip-toeing as we entered into the house.

On getting in, we found the dining table all set up with a pot of steaming soup on it. The sitting room had been cleaned. The chairs were arranged properly as opposed to the way it had been all disorganized when we had left that morning. Doc’s books were even in order. While we were all still ‘oohing’ and ‘ahhing’ about how spick and span the house was, Sleepyhad gone upstairs to resume his sleep (obviously). But then he screamed and we all rushed up to see what he had seen. Lo and behold lying on one of the beds was a girl, fair with skin as white as snow, so pretty with long black hair and lips red as a rose. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I had literally been drooling.

Doc on the other hand who had his senses intact, tapped her gently and she woke up. “Who are you?” He had asked. At that she told us her name was Snow White. Snow White told us how she lived in a castle with her jealous stepmother and how her stepmother had paid one of the servants to kill her and bring back her heart to the castle to the queen.
She also told us of how the servant took her into the forest, told her of the queen’s request, how he said he was going to kill a deer instead and present the heart to the queen and then asked her to run away.

As she told the story, I couldn’t help but notice how she had been staring at me. She seemed quite as smitten by me as I was by her. All I could see were those deep blue eyes of hers.
She added that she had slept in the forest that night all alone and had heard terrible dreams. ‘Poor girl. I wish I could have helped’, I said to myself and our eyes met at that moment as if she was thinking the exact same thing. I lowered my face, shy that she had seen how much I had been staring and could have heard my thoughts. She smiled and continued about how she had, on waking up, saw a path and followed it. She had walked some distance in the forest only to find our cottage in a clearing. She had let herself in and helped us to clean the place up and prepare a meal.

‘What a beautiful soul’, I had said to myself. She was beautiful inside. I had wept at her story. How could someone be so wicked to such a wonderful girl? Even Grumpy had been moved by the story. Sneezy, who was blowing his nose so hard we didn’t even know if it was from his allergies or the touching story said, “You can stay here with us” Everyone seemed okay with it and nodded in agreement.

‘Wow. Why did I not think of that?’ I remember asking myself as I joined the rest of the family along with Sneezy in dancing round Snow White while cheering “Hooray!” “Hooray!” Grumpy didn’t seem to agree though. Well he’s Grumpywhat do you expect?
“Why would you let a girl stranger into our house?” He kept asking. “I know she has been through a lot with her stepmom but there’s really no space for her here.” He grumbled.
“I’d work for my upkeep.” Snow White responded.
“I’d cook, clean and watch over the house while you guys are gone.” She added
“Please, let me stay”, She pleaded.
I thought to myself, ‘What a sweet girl! Grumpymust be a horrible person to not want to allow her stay.’ Fortunately, everyone else seemed to be thinking like me and at that they said to Snow White,
“Don’t worry. You are not going anywhere. You can live here and tend to the house while we’re down in the mines. We love you and we’ll take care of you!” Grumpy had no choice but to mumble something in agreement. It had been settled.

She had thanked them for their hospitality and they had all gone to sleep that night with Snow staying on the sofa in their sitting room. I wished I could have given her my bed but I didn’t want to have made my feelings so obvious.

The next morning, we all set off for work. Snow White kissed each one of us on the cheek as we went out of the door. As she kissed me, I had turned the darkest shade of pink. She seemed to have noticed and had blushed too. When the last of us had left the house we gave her strict warnings not to open the door to strangers and headed off to the mines.

All day at the mines, I had been turning red from the thought of the peck on the cheek earlier in the day. I had even composed a poem I was going to read to Snow when we got home confessing my undying love for her which I read to the others to proofread for me. The other little men (I told you I didn’t like calling us dwarfs remember?), thought I was being silly. Snow White wasn’t going to take me seriously they had said. I told them they were being bitter and that I could see from snow white’s eyes that she really liked me back. “Whatever”, Grumpysaid and we all went back to work.
Sleepy went of the mine later on in the afternoon only to see that the sky had grown dark and stormy. He called us to come out to see. Loud thunder rumbled through the valleys and streaks of lightning ripped the sky. We all got worried about Snow White whom we had left at home and ran to the cottage.

On getting there, we found Snow lying still on the ground. She was unconscious and beside her was a half bitten apple. We tried to revive her but nothing we did worked. She was gone and I hadn’t had the opportunity to express my feelings to her. The wicked stepmother must have done this I kept saying. I cried and cried till tears could no longer come out of my eyes. My eyes got so red and swollen like a bloated fish.

After crying till we could cry no more, we built a crystal coffin. We all agreed she deserved a crystal coffin. She was a princess. We laid her on a bed of rose petals, placed her in the coffin and carried her into the forest. Every day, I went there to lay a flower.
One day, I went there as usual to lay a flower. I saw a strange young man admiring Snow’s face through the crystal glass. I ran to call the others who met him too. We asked who he was and found out he was a prince of a kingdom far away. He asked why a beautiful girl was lying there unconscious. We told him the story after which he made a suggestion.

“Would you allow me take this fair princess to my Castle? I’ll call in the most famous doctors to awaken her from this deep peculiar sleep.”
“She is quite lovely and I’d love to kiss her…” He added and actually did kiss her.

As he pressed his lips against snow’s lips, I almost had a heart attack, like literally. ‘I am meant to be the one kissing her’, I whined in my head. But then as though by some strange magic, the prince’s kiss woke her up. Snow White had opened her eyes to everyone’s surprise. “Amazeballs.” Doc had said. Snow White had come back to life!

The prince was now in love with Snow White and so was she with him. It was obvious from the way they were looking at each other. My heart had sunk at that sight. Snow White was never going to love me back. She had gotten true love’s kiss and this was her new love from now on.
My heart sunk further when he asked her to marry him. Snow White had been so excited. She kept screaming yes. She was happy and she would have wanted me to be happy for her. So I kept the sad feelings aside and said goodbye as cheerily as I could manage as she kissed each one of us before she left with him.

Snow White now lives happily in the great castle with the prince occasionally comes to down to the cottage to see us from time to time and when she comes, I still blush a little. Love doesn’t die hard, they say. Besides my name is Bashful. Now, isn’t that what I am supposed to be? If I don’t do it, who will? Grumpy? Sneezy? Doc? Dopey? Happy? Or Sleepy? Nope, I don’t think so.

Well, there you have it. Bashful, Snow White and the Six Dwarfs. My own version of the story. Don’t forget to share if you liked it. See ya some other time.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remy, 'Another One'? Oh no, you shouldn't have.

BBNaija - The Kemen Incident and My Take on it.

The trend of Ladies Proposing to Their Men - Yay! or Nah, too forward.