A Valentine Day Fiasco Chapter 14 – ‘I Want to Court You’.



When the doorbell rang, Cynthia didn’t know whether to answer it or not. The events of the day had taken a toll on her but yet she couldn’t sleep. She walked to the door and asked who it was.
“Hey. It’s me John.” The voice behind the door said.
She cautiously opened the door just a little bit to see the person. After the day’s events, she was learning how to be super safety conscious. When she saw his face and saw that it was john, she opened the door a little bit wider to let him in. She hurried him to get in quickly and locked the door quickly with the bolt and the key so that in case anyone was following him they wouldn’t be able to get in.
“How are you doing?” John asked after she had locked the door and was now seated.
“Honestly, I don’t know. But I’d be fine. I just need to get over the shock of everything that happened within the past 24 hours.” She replied
“By the way, what should I get you? Water? Soft drink? Anything?”
“No nothing. I don’t want you to stress yourself. How’s Rachel? Did she go home or is she with you?”
“She’s with me. We need each other’s company right now although she is trying to get some sleep. It really shook her up. The whole thing.”
“Yeah I understand.” John said.
Then he proceeded to tell her that the criminals had been locked up and their sponsors had being identified and are currently being gathered. He mentioned the fact that his brother in law was one of them.
“Oh wow. That’s sad. I really feel sorry for your sister. No lady has to go through that. Does she have a kid?”
“Yeah she does. A two year old boy.”
“That’s even worse. I feel sorry for them both. What about you? How are you taking it? Knowing that someone within your family had such bad intentions towards you?”
“Funny enough, I never trusted him from the beginning. But I didn’t really have a say in it. Ronke’s marriage to him that is. I just feel I should have fought harder. Maybe my sister wouldn’t have ended up with him. But there’s really nothing to do now. I am just going to be as supportive of her as possible.”
“Yeah she really needs that.”
Then they stopped talking for some moment. John decided he had to do it now or it might be too late. He had found his soulmate no matter how cheesy that might have sounded o him before. He didn’t want to lose her. There was a reason why he had bugged her in secondary school and that was probably the reason why god allowed them to meet again. He might not get this chance again. So he cleared his throat.
“Are you sure you don’t need water or something? You sound dehydrated. Let me...” Cynthia said before she was interrupted by John.
“No I am fine. Cynthia, I know this might probably not be the best time to do this but I don’t think I would be able to come out and say it again if I let this opportunity slide.”
Cynthia sat down to listen to him very well. She silently hoped it was what she was thinking he wanted to say. These past few months with him had been divine and she had never felt that way with anyone even Phil who she had thought was her true love. She watch John nervously rubbing his beards. She smiled and urged him to go on.
“Okay. Go on.”
“When you and Rachel were caught in the middle of the tussle that happened earlier and it seemed like there was going to be a shootout, I had this nerve-racking pain in my chest like I was going to lose something I was going to regret and that something or someone was you. I felt so angry and helpless because I couldn’t do anything to get you and Rachel out of there. You in particular. I had never felt that way about any woman in my entire life. The feeling is entirely new to me so I won’t call it love. Not yet. But I do know I want to court you and see where this will lead us to. I want a serious relationship with you not like those one I have had with girls I have told you about.” He said.
“So what do you say?” He added.
Cynthia laughed out. He looked so cute with him nervously explaining how he felt to her.
“I am so sorry for bursting out in laughter like that.” she said remorsefully after her laughter died down.
”First of all who says ‘I want to court you’?” she added.
John started laughing because he couldn’t believe he had actually said that. When he stopped laughing she smiled and moved closer to him on the couch they were both seated on now.
“Yes. I do want to court you too.” She said putting emphasis on the word ‘court’ with a mischievous look on her face.


“You this naughty girl. You are going to use that against me forever abi?” John said while tickling her. She laughed and laughed because she was ticklish and John started laughing too because her laughter was infectious. Then suddenly they eyes met and time seemed to go still, the space in between their faces got narrower and narrower until their lips were just barely touching and finally they shared their first kiss.

Click to read Chapter 15.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remy, 'Another One'? Oh no, you shouldn't have.

BBNaija - The Kemen Incident and My Take on it.

The trend of Ladies Proposing to Their Men - Yay! or Nah, too forward.